The Living Wage Coalition of Longmont is a group of organizations and individuals in Longmont and elsewhere in Boulder County, Colorado, working to secure a living wage for City of Longmont employees. The LWV of Boulder County is proud to be a leading member of the Coalition.
The Coalition goal is to ensure that by 2020, the City of Longmont will pay all idividuals who are employed by companies with city contracts a minimum hourly wage of $17.42, based on the Self-Sufficiency Standard.
The Coalition proposes that employees such as city custodial and landscape staff be provided a living wage, and that contract employees working without benefits will receive a percentage wage increase in lieu of benefits. These employees will also receive regularly scheduled wage increases based upon an established index.
Longmont can implement this living wage goal by:
• reclaiming custodial and landscape staff as city employees;
• inserting a labor practices clause into all city contracts; or
• establishing a city ordinance.
Help support a living wage for Longmont city contract workers!
• Sign on as a coalition supporter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
• Write to Longmont City Council members, asking them to support a living wage for city
• Speak in person to the Longmont City Council at their biweekly meetings. Council
meetings are held at 7 p.m. 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, at
council chambers. Speakers must arrive at 6:45 to sign in, and are allowed 3
minutes to address council members.
• Share this webpage with friends and neighbors to spread the word.
For more background on the living wage issue:
• LWVBC Statement: Living Wage in Longmont: A Call to Action
• Statement from Coalition for Longmont Living Wage
• Daily Camera Op-Ed "We've measured the living wage. The data is disturbing"
• Living wage discussion on KGNU-FM Community radio
• LWVBC Program Position on Minimum / LivingWages
• Statements from Coalition members to Longmont City Council
For more information on the Living Wage Coalition contact Co-Chairs Pat
Long and Mary Ann Wilner at email@example.com or 303-499-4544.
Coalition Members (as of April 2019)
League of Women Voters of Boulder County (read our position here)
American Association of University Women (AAUW) Longmont
The Inn Between
Heart of Longmont United Methodist Church
Immigrant Legal Center of Boulder County
Boulder Area Labor Council of the AFL / CIO
AFL / CIO
United Food and Commercial Works, Local 7
Mary Ann Wilner
Mary Ann Watson
Kay Palmer Marsh
Rev. David Burt, Pastor, Heart of Longmont UMC
Sharon K. Yonkees
Keith E. Watson
Belen Pargas Solis
Maria Gordillo Villa
Linda Davies (AAUW Longmont)
Maryann Brown Sperry
John and Amy Thornbury